Friday, October 16, 2009

Dear Television


I have enjoyed our long, committed relationship for almost 40 years. You have been my babysitter, travel companion, and English teacher among your many roles. Now it is time for our relationship to change. With a family of my own, there are just too many demands on my time and you are my #1 time-sucker. Everytime I turn you on, I am seduced into watching just "one more show" and before I know it, the evening is over. I find your "next week on..." previews too enticing, giving me glimpses into future, fabulous episodes that will surely take away time from me and my family.

So I'm putting myself on a strict TV diet. I am limiting myself to the absolute essentials - Top Chef, Project Runway, Grey's Anatomy, and Drop Dead Diva. I will not turn on the television to watch ever ubiquitous House Hunters, Iron Chef, and Criminal Minds. I will surely miss the drama, inanity, and insanity of those and other shows, but I will learn to live without - for myself and for my family.

With great affection,
Me